9.29.2010

Roasted Chicken with Risotto and Caramelized Onions


Sounds fancy but super easy...


It was so freakin' good. Worth the time (and it does take lots of it...and lots of patience) and worth the effort. Michelle and I made this for Ben on Friday. I have leftovers in the freezer and I'm hoping it tastes as good for lunch tomorrow. I dream about this dish. It comes to me in my sleep and tries to entice me into eating it in the middle of the night.


I'm not going to type out the whole recipe because you can find it here and print it off yourself.


Here are the changes I would suggest...

First...it takes way longer than it tells you. Give yourself a good 1 1/2 hours from start to finish. Be patient, don't try to cut corners or make short cuts. It's worth the sore feet at the end. Only add more broth to it as the previous amount is totally absorbed. It goes from looking sticky and weird to creamy and delicious, so use the full 7 cups of hot broth.

Second...don't buy a roast chicken, unless you have left overs. Just grill, fry, bake up some chicken breasts and chop 'em up. If you're going for a "pretty" looking dinner, I would suggest keeping it out of the risotto and just grill up some breasts and serve them sliced over top of the risotto.

We added broccoli to our mixture...I probably would leave it out next time and serve it on the side. Some grilled or steamed chopped asparagus would be really good to add to it.

We added some parmesan at the end with the butter.

I think that's it.

Seriously though...this was shockingly delicious. I will for sure make it over and over and over again....but probably on a weekend or for guests because it's time consuming for a weekday dinner for just Ben and I.

It is easy though...so don't be afraid to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment