9.29.2010

California Roll Salad


Do you love sushi? Do you love california rolls? You will love this!


Can you guess where I got the recipe from? If you've never been to my blog then it's okay that you probably didn't know "Meal Salads" by Company's Coming...if you're a regular...well..."if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything." I rarely listen to that...but today...I will.


Here's the scoop with this recipe. Ben's mom followed it exactly and it tasted EXACTLY like a california roll. I have this thing with not following recipes...sometimes there is success....sometimes there is not. I didn't follow this one and mine did not taste like a california roll...but it was pretty good. I'm going to just give it to you how it is in the book and tell you some changes that I made at the end. You can experiment how you want, but I highly suggest you follow the recipe of you want that california roll flavor.



1 1/3 cups water
1/8 tsp salt
2/3 cup long grain brown rice

2 cups chopped imitation crab meat
1 cup chopped english cucumber with peel
1/3 cup julienned carrot
1/3 cup slivered red pepper
1 tbsp chopped pickled ginger slices
1/2 tsp salt

1 Nori (roasted seaweed) sheet

1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp wasabi paste

4 cups romaine and iceberg lettuce mix
2 tbsp thinly sliced green onion


Combine water and salt in small saucepan. Bring to boil. Add rice. Stir. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for about 35 minutes, without stirring, until rice is tender. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, about 5 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Transfer to large bowl. Cool.

Add next 6 ingredients.

Cut nori into 2-inch strips. Stack strips. Cut crosswise into 1/4" strips. Add to rice mixture.

Whisk next 6 ingredients in small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add to rice mixture. Stir.

Arrange lettuce in 4 salad bowls. Spoon rice mixture over lettuce. Sprinkle with green onion. Serves 4.



Here are the changes I made...

I used white rice and my rice cooker.

I used real crab meat...the kind in the little can...like how tuna comes.

I omitted the nori sheet and I don't think I should have. I think that's what took away from mine tasting like a real california roll.

Instead of romaine and iceberg lettuce mix, I used spring mix greens.


Please tell me if you try and if you followed the recipe and if you liked it. Did it taste like california rolls to you?Print it from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment