9.29.2010

Layered Orzo Salad




Another "Meal Salads" by Company's Coming hit. I ate this for dinner, I ate it for lunch the next day and then I was sad that there wasn't any left. Turned out perfectly!


8 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 cup orzo

3 tbsp italian dressing

2 cups bocconcini (or diced mozzarella cheese...which is what I used)
2 cups chopped tomato (I used my cherry tomatoes off my plant and cut in half)
1/4 cup fresh basil
1/2 tsp pepper

4 cups romaine, radicchio and endive mix, lightly packed (I don't think it really matters if you have this exact mix or not...I just buy those spring mix packages in the produce section)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (please don't use that powder sold in the aisles...but the fresh stuff)
1/4 cup italian dressing (make your own....totally worth it)

1 cup diced english cucumber with peel
1 cup roasted red peppers, cut into strips
1/2 cup sliced pitted kalamata olives (I didn't have any, so I left them out)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Combine water and salt in large saucepan. Bring to boil, add pasta. Boil, uncovered for 8 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender but firm. Drain and rinse with cold water and drain well. Return to saucepan.

Add first amount of dressing. Stir and spoon into extra-large glass bowl.

Combine next 4 ingredients in large bowl. Spoon over orzo mixture.

Combine next 3 ingredients in same large bowl. Arrange over bocconcini mixture.

Scatter next 3 ingredients, in order given, over lettuce mixture. Sprinkle with second amount of parmesan cheese.

Makes about 12 cups.


My changes...

I didn't "layer" it all pretty in a glass bowl. I let us "build our own" in our own bowl so we could use the left overs without that soggy salad problem.


You know the drill....tell me how yours turns out.

Print from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment