12.13.2010

Peppermint Patties

Okay so here is what the picture of them look like on their webpage....



Here are what mine look like...




Here is my attempt at "staging" a good photo of them...



I want to know how they got theirs too look so nice.  Either way...these actually do taste good.  Just like those ones you can buy in the store.  And ignoring how they look, they were easy to make.


I got the recipe from here.


The only change I made was with the chocolate coating.  They said to use shortening with the chocolate to melt it, but I used vegetable oil instead.


Here are my suggestions and what I would do different for next time...

They say to "lightly dust the foil with icing sugar" (to prevent them from sticking)...I say do more than "lightly dust"...these suckers are a sticky  mess.  Also it says to flatten each ball with the palm of your hand...make sure your palm has icing sugar on it...sticky sticky sticky.


Sticky.


I don't know if you can freeze the peppermint filling part, but if you can, I would...after you've shaped the patties.  I'm a baking rookie, so I don't know these things.  I found they melted as soon as they hit the hot melted chocolate coating, which made them fall apart and hard to deal with.

Make them smaller and thicker.  I think I made mine too big and too thin....maybe that's why they melted  when I was trying to coat them.


Let me know if you try them and how yours turn out.

2012 UPDATE:  Made them for the third time this weekend.  I used wax paper to line the baking sheet and still lots of icing sugar. We made the dough and put it in the fridge for about an hour.  Then we rolled them into a ball and slightly flattened them.  None are bigger than a quarter and we kept them sort of thick.  We left those in the freezer overnight.  The next morning, we only pulled a few out at a time to dip in the chocolate.  They turned out to be a perfect sized treat!





No comments:

Post a Comment