11.21.2010

French Onion Soup



I love French Onion soup and I've never really thought to make it at home.


I think the recipe landed in my inbox or I must have stumbled across when browsing through allrecipes.


Anyways...I loved it.  I mean, it has cheese and bread in it...how could I not like it?


You can print the recipe from here.


These are the changes I would suggest...

1. Even though the recipe does says "do not brown the onions" you want to make sure you caramelize them.  This is where the flavour comes from.  If you read the comments, you will see a lot of people say this.  If you decide to caramelize the onions, it will add on to the cooking time by quite a bit.  You don't want to fry the onions crispy, you want to slow saute them until they are soft and a beautiful caramel colour.

2. I skipped the sherry as I didn't have it and wasn't going to buy it just for this.

3. I don't have oven safe bowls, so I did not put the soup in the bowls and then broil the bread.  I baked the bread in the oven so it was crispy, then broiled it so the cheese bubbled nice and brown.  I used romano, mozza and parmesan since this is what I had already.  If you just broil the bread or put the bread right in the bowl and broil it, expect soggy bread where it sits in the soup.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment